Pudina tal-Hobz (bread Pudding)
Il-Pudina tal-Hobz, (Bread pudding) brings back many fond childhood memories. I remember my mother recycling unused bread to create one of the most delicious deserts I have ever tasted. The Bread pudding uses once again the Maltese loaf as the prime ingredient, which is transformed ito a delicious chocolate bread pudding.
1 large stale Maltese loaf
1 pkt Sultana
3 cups of milk
3 tbsp cocoa powder
4 tbsp of brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
100 g dark chocolate chopped
Grated rind of an orange
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/428F/Gas 7
2. Grease a 20cm x 20cm square tin and set aside
3. Tear up the maltese/fruit loaf into small chunks and place in a bowl. Add the milk and allow bread to soak for 20 minutes.
4. Add the cocoa, sugar, cinnamon, eggs and orange zest and mix until well combined. Add the chopped chocolate and stir through.
5. Place the bread mixture in the tin and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the top of the pudina is crisp.